How did someone find my server?

lundi 24 août 2015

I run a small private server for my children. Today, while I was monitoring, someone else with an offensive name joined my server. I did not have a server password set at the time - I have since fixed that - because I didn't expect anyone to know how to connect to the server without the connection information. I was able to determine via reverse DNS that the user doesn't live in the same city as myself nor any of the kids that were connected at the time, and in fact he/she was using a different provider (Comcast) than what all of the kids do (BrightHouse). I was able to handle the situation by kicking/banning the user, but I would like to know...

What is/are the most likely ways this user obtained my connection information? I know it didn't come from any of the current users - they are all too young to really know how to do that. Is there some central server that TeamSpeak servers register with - some kind of directory? Is it more likely he was using a port scanner of some kind?

Thank you all for any opinions.
How did someone find my server?

1 commentaires:

Unknown a dit…

It's pretty easy to find TS3 servers. Just press Ctrl-Shift-S or go in Connection > Server List and you will find servers depending on your criterias. No matter which port is used, everything should be listed here. If you want to avoid random guests, protect it with a password like you did.

Enregistrer un commentaire